[tulip] Re: Question: slow network performance between Linux and Solaris 7

David Hinds dhinds@valinux.com
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:10:20 -0700

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 03:34:46AM +0000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Seconded.  In both 2.2 (tulip_cb) and 2.4 (xircom_tulip_cb) on 100baseT
> the driver reports a huge number of Tx carrier errors and sustains 50
> mbits/sec on TCP Tx and 1 mbit/sec on TCP Rx.  It should do 98 mbits/sec
> each way (using netperf).

This is fixed in my latest PCMCIA beta, on projects.sourceforge.net in
/pub/pcmcia-cs/NEW.

(there are two bugs... the driver doesn't monitor the MII to determine
when to switch the Tulip into full duplex, and also, even in full
duplex mode, the bogus Xircom chip still reports carrier errors)

> And (less seriously), with or without Andrea's recent patch the
> interface doesn't work after poweron or hotplug.  It needs a down/up or
> it needs to be set into promiscuous mode long enough to receive a
> packet.

I don't know what the deal is with the promiscuous thing.  I find that
with my card, Andrea's patch doesn't really make a difference; with or
without it, the card sometimes needs to be toggled into promiscuous
mode.  It seems random.

-- Dave