[tulip] Machines Disappearing

brian@worldcontrol.com brian@worldcontrol.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:50:16 -0700

I have a cluster of ten i386 based machines.  Some times some or many
of them disappear.

They are interconnected with two switches.

The machines that disappear can be brought back by entering
'ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0' at the console.

I'd much prefer that whatever causes the disappearence to happen
to be taken care of automatically.

To that end I wrote a monitoring script.  But that doesn't seem
like the right solution.

Machines are running linux 2.2.18pre15 or 2.2.18pre3.  All
machines have "tulip" based ethernet cards.

I'm pretty certain all the machines are running
tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov

Is there a proper solution to this problem?

Thanks,

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>