[tulip] Limited success with Netgear FA310TX problem

Paul Bombach pbombach@umich.edu
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:33:56 -0400

Thanks to all that sent responses (in particular Dave Winter) about the
problem with the Netgear FA310TX problem I posted last week. I'm still
experiencing problems but have had some limited success. When I connect my
Linux box with the FA310TX NIC directly to another box using a crossover
cable, everything works just fine. However, when I try to connect my Linux
machine with the FA310TX to a Linksys Cable Modem Router/Switch (befsr41), I
get no success at all. Dave Winter pointed out that NIC cards based on the
Lite-ON PNIC 82c168 have a problem with this particular switch. This leads
me to 2 questions:

    1. What exactly is the interaction between the NIC and the switch?
    2. Why would the NIC function under Windows 95 but not under Linux. What
sort of
	 initialization difference is there between W95 and Linux?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul Bombach