[tulip] Linksys integrated cardbus PCM200 card quirk

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:19:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Gong Su wrote:

> Subject: [tulip] Linksys integrated cardbus PCM200 card quirk
>
> Hi, I just got this card and managed to get it to work under Linux
> 2.2.17pre17 by gathering and compiling all the latest files
> (cb_shim.c, pci-scan.c, and tulip.c) as modules. The strange thing
> though is that the driver would have a false detection of
> the card at eth0 and went on to eth1 with the right detection.

This is because of a semantic change made in recent 2.2.* kernels.  The
CardBus controller is now treated as a PCI bridge when scanning devices.

Whenever the driver is loaded, it searchs for all PCI devices.
It finds the the CardBus card, but it hasn't yet been assigned resources.
After the card manager assigns resources, it directs cb_shim to attach the
tulip driver to a specific device.

This is a interface/semantic change in the kernel made after the release of
pci-scan/cb_shim.  It's not easy to fix.  (Obviously, or I would have fixed
it.) The PCI interface layer doesn't provide any information that lets us
know that this is really an unconfigured CardBus device.