[tulip] Full-Duplex not working on older lne100tx

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:33:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Erik Myllymaki wrote:

> I have a Linksys LNE100tx based on the PNIC chip 82c168 rev 17.
>
> I am using the tulip v0.91g-ppc driver in a RedHat 6.1 install and it
> has been working well for 2 years. I just gort a switched hub, and would
> like to run this full-duplex. I have tried the following kernel options
> at boot:

What is the detection message?

There are several board designs for the '168.  It's important to know if
your board has a MII or SYM transceiver.  That's shown in the detection
message.

Also, the v0.91g-ppc driver has been modified many times.  You should try
the updated driver at
  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
     ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

> One weird thing, my instruction book and box both claim this card has
> full-duplex capability, but refer to a FD(X) light that indicates
> connecting at full-duplex, but the card itself doesn't have one of these
> lights, just *link, act, 100*?! Maybe my card doesn't have the
> full-duplexing option?

The '168 chip can do NWay and full duplex.  A MII transciever has its own
NWay implementation, and thus the on-chip NWay isn't used.