[tulip] Extremely stubborn 21143

Jon.Hinks Jon.Hinks@berkeley-ifa.co.uk
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:34:06 +0100

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. This has been an ongoing problem for a
week and a half now- but should be fairly simple for you folks! I have been
wrestling with installing Linux on a Pentium machine, and was reasonably
successful until I tried installing my 3com Digital 21143-PA Network
Interface Card (1996 make). I have, I think, narrowed it down to Linux not
talking to the card properly. Previously I had tried all manner of things,
being as I am new to the hardware side of Linux. See
http://www.justlinux.com/bin/topic/listtopic.pl?cid=3429759 for all the fun
I was having!

Problem (if debug is set to 6) is that the ethernet card keeps on timing out
and does not appear on the network. Cannot ping my box, and cannot ping
anything from the box (although I can ping the box from the box, so the
ethernet interface itself must be working, I think).

Anyway, it looks now like the negotiation is failing? I am currently
persisting with a fixed IP address as this is the closest I have come yet to
it working. In fact, I was actually able to ping my NT server
(120.121.122.123) from my Linux box (120.121.122.1) last night, but since
have been unable to fix the problem.

I am using Mandrake 7.1, build 2.2.15-4mdk, and the latest version of the
tulip driver with pci-scan. I have executed a `depmod -a` to make everything
uptodate, and still no luck. If anyone can help, I'd very much appreciate
it!

*** Output of `tulip-diag -e`:

tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xf880.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
EEPROM size is 6.
PCI Subsystem IDs, vendor 0000, device 0000.
CardBus Information Structure at offset 00000000.
Ethernet MAC Station Address 00:80:AD:B6:5A:86.
EEPROM transceiver/media description for the Digital DS21143 Tulip chip.
Leaf node at offset 30, default media type 0800 (Autosense).
 3 transceiver description blocks:
  Media 10baseT, block type 2, length 12.
   Serial transceiver for 10baseT (media type 64).
    CSR13 ec01  CSR14 7f3f  CSR15 0008.
    GP pin direction 08ab  GP pin data 0001.
  Media 10baseT-Full Duplex, block type 2, length 12.
   Serial transceiver for 10baseT-Full Duplex (media type 68).
    CSR13 ec01  CSR14 7f3d  CSR15 0008.
    GP pin direction 08ab  GP pin data 0001.
  Media MII, block type 3, length 17.
   MII interface PHY 0 (media type 11).
   21143 MII initialization sequence is 2 words: 08ab 0001.
   21143 MII reset sequence is 0 words:.
    Media capabilities are 6000, advertising 01e1.
    Full-duplex map 5000, Threshold map 0180.
    No MII interrupt.
 MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x782d.
 MII PHY #0 transceiver registers:
   3400 782d ffff ffff 01e1 0081 0000 ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff c200.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.

*** Output of `tulip-diag -m`:

tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xf880.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Waiting for Tx to finish'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
 MII PHY found at address 0, status 0x782d.
 MII PHY #0 transceiver registers:
   3400 782d ffff ffff 01e1 0081 0000 ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff c200.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.

*** Output of `mii-diag -v`:

mii-diag.c:v2.00 4/19/2000  Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
 MII PHY #0 transceiver registers:
   3400 782d ffff ffff 01e1 0081 0000 ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff c200.
 Basic mode control register 0x3400: Auto-negotiation enabled.
  Transceiver isolated from the MII!
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
   This transceiver is capable of  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
10baseT.
   Able to perform Auto-negotiation, negotiation complete.
 Your link partner is generating 100baseTx link beat  (no autonegotiation).
 MII PHY #0 transceiver registers:
   3400 782d ffff ffff 01e1 0081 0000 ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff c200.
 Basic mode control register 0x3400: Auto-negotiation enabled.
  Transceiver isolated from the MII!
 Basic mode status register 0x782d ... 782d.
   Link status: established.
   Capable of  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT.
   Able to perform Auto-negotiation, negotiation complete.
 This transceiver has no vendor identification.
 I'm advertising 01e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT
   Advertising no additional info pages.
   IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD protocol.
 Link partner capability is 0081: 100baseTx.
   Negotiation did not complete.

Jon (Hinks)
I.T. Department
Berkeley Independent Advisers Ltd
Direct line (024) 7623 2041
The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient. It
may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee, nor may
it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact Berkeley
Independent Advisers Ltd on 024 7623 2000 quoting the name of the sender. It
is the recipients responsibility to check any attachments for viruses.
Berkeley Independent Advisers Limited recommend that all attachments are
checked before use. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Berkeley
Independent Advisers Limited by means of email communications. Where
signatures are required email will not be accepted as a substitute. Please
report any misuse of email to Compliance@berkeley-ifa.co.uk Berkeley
Independent Advisers Limited, Eaton House, 1 Eaton Road, Coventry. CV1 2FJ.
Tel: 024 7623 2000 Fax: 024 7623 2070,Berkeley Independent Advisers Limited
are Regulated by the Personal Investment Authority