[tulip] LNE100TX version 4.1 timeouts on tx

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:05:54 -0800

  the linksys LNE100TX card with driver from linksys timeouts when there
is busy traffic on tx. From application point of view only one
connection dies (because of timeout),all the rest are working ok.

  I have tested this with various programs, mostly vnc but also ftp,
telnet, ping and X.

  my system:

  linux machine with LNE100TX (PCI), version 4.12 card, running debian
distro (unstable), kernel 2.2.17, driver:

  "tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker
<becker@scyld.com>\n";

  windows machine on the other side, intel on board network card (does
it matter?)

  these two machines are connected by crossover cable, full duplex,
100Mbs. I guess the cable is OK, I tried to change the direction (errors
are in one direction only)... There are no errors (corrupted packets)
indicated by any programs I tried (mostly intel diagnostics tool, I also
checked variosu log on linux machine).

  anytime there is huge transfer from linux to win there is a chance it
time outs, for example vnc only works for about one minute, X almost
does not work (I have X server on win machine), ftp transfer of 1MB file
work often but sometime does not work...

  when the transfer goes the other way around, it works like charm, I
used vnc to view win screensaver, it ran all night, no problems.

 low bandwidth transfer doesnot seem to be a problem, ping works both
way (evenusing 10k packets), telnet works, I use linux machine as
gateway/masq/firewall and I haven't noticed any problems (Ihave only
33.600 modem)

  another, probably unrelated problem: once the card stopped working at
all, unfortunately I do not have error message...

  yet another problem: if the LNE100TX is in the machine, the soundcard
(soundblaster 64 awe, ISA) does not work, even if I do not load
tulip/pci-scan drivers at all, there is only about one second of any
audio heard (and no midi at all). If I take out the netwrok card and
reboot, the sound works. I see no error messages at all.

  also, why does it says tulipc.: ... (see below) during bootup? After
the boot is completed lsmod does not show tulip.o loaded...

  here's some more info:

  lspci identifies card as:

00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0985 (rev
11)

  dmesg says:

mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb100
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xc584a000, 00:20:78:12:14:CC, IRQ 9.
PnP: Calling quirk for 02:00
PnP: Calling quirk for 02:02
isapnp: Card 'Creative Modem Blaster DI5600'

  (I was told that it's amdtek centaur-P anyway)

jojda:/home/erik# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    7465096          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      32049          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  Sound Blaster 16
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:    1187655          XT-PIC  eth0
 11:   11687930          XT-PIC  serial
 12:     347181          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          0          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:    3414768          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0

  is there any chance to get this working?

  any ideas? TIA

	erik