[tulip] Recognizing the new driver at bootup

David Shochat shochat@acm.org
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 22:07:31 -0500

ne... wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2000 at 14:22, Phil Barone eloquently wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>  I sure appreciate all the help so far. Talk about confusing. See some
>> notes about what I have done to get this far at the bottom of this email.
>>
>> My question utimately is how to get my RH7.0 box to function correctly with
>> my cable modem. I am reading the cable modem how-to but am stuck.
>>
>>  First how do I get my eth0 interface to be recognized at boot time? It
>> seems that what I am doing with the modprobe eth0 is causing eth0 to be seen
>> for the moment but as soon as I reboot, eth0 disappears. See below to see
>> what I've done so far.
>>
>> What is the standard way of making eth0 available after the reboot?
>
> Install the netcfg rpm and use this to configure the
> device. Make sure you select the 'activate at boot' switch.

I agree totally with that.

Just one more thing though. Since Phil Barone wants to use this with a
cable modem, he should check DHCP when configuring this interface in
netcfg. That is really all it takes (at least in RH 6.2). That causes a
file to be created in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts called ifcfg-eth0.
This file will contain something like:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

During boot, ifup will see the "dhcp" in there and use the pump utility
to perform the necessary DHCP protocol and bring up the interface.

That is how it all works with my cable modem on my RH6.2 system.
-- David