[tulip] 100 Full duplex with 21143 (Cabletron DE500B) been fixed

Stephen Gutknecht (vw) VW@i405.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:38:25 -0800

Windows ME identifies the card as "Cabletron DE500B", I previusly said it
was a Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) card.  Well, it is, I'm learning history
that most of you may know... Digital sold the right to the cards to
Cabletron but kept the chipset business (which eventually went to Intel).

The card wouldn't work under WindowsME or Red Linux 7.0.... Well, it would
work but very very slow (400ms local net pings) and 60% packet loss.
Switched to the second card, same problem, switched PCI slots - twice, same
problem.

WHAT-THE-FRECK?

Well, then I do some more reading.  This time armed with the name "Cabletron
DE500B" that WindowsME gave me.  Well well, look what I found:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/niclist.htm

Seems that ANY of the _real tulip 21140/21142/21143 chips_ have a serious
problem with Linksys 10/100 switches.  Guess what I had for this server
subnet?    I traded switches with my 8-port Compex 10/100 switch and problem
went right away under both Linux and WindowsME.  My switch is only 3 months
old... not an old model, but problem still there.  My switch is model
EZXS55W; just a little 5-port desktop job... but sounds like Linksys uses
same chips in larger switches.

Donald:  I would really recommend putting a link to this web page above on
the Tulip driver page.   I wonder how many problems have/will come in
against the "tulip driver" that are really the Linksys switch problems?
Maybe a warning in the tuplip source code about Linksys switches?

>From the list, looks like clone adapters don't have this issue.  Hopefully
my on-order Macronix cards will work with this switch :)

ARGGH!

  Stephen Gutknecht
  Renton, Washington USA