[tulip] Followup to: MAC address not reported correctly ??!!!!

David Ford david@linux.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:53:09 -0800

--------------90BC2B61126AE68917EB9205

I would surmise then that CSH needs to reset the cable modem via the reset
button (not just the power button) whenever choosing to boot into a different
OS.

Most cable modems latch onto the first MAC address on the wire that they see
and will only talk to that MAC address.  They will retain this address until
their internals are reset.  A power cycle normally does not reset this data,
you must locate the reset button.  It's often an internal switch under a tiny
hole about 1/8th of an inch that you need a pen or paperclip to press the
button with.  If you're lucky it is an external switch and easily reached.
Frequently it is not identified.  Refer to the manual or call your provider if
you are unsure.

-d

Donald Becker wrote:

> > tulip.c:v0.92i 7/31/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> >   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
> > eth0: Digital DS21140 Tulip rev 34 at 0xc8859000, 00:40:F0:40:FE:68,
>
> OK, that looks like a reasonable station address.
>
> > [root@localhost csh]# ./tulip-diag -e -e
> > EEPROM size is 6.
> > PCI Subsystem IDs, vendor 2646, device 0001.
>
> This card has a specific subsystem ID.  Mostly unimportant, but I'm guessing
> that the vendor driver looks for this ID to rewrite the station address.

--------------90BC2B61126AE68917EB9205

begin:vcard
n:Ford;David
x-mozilla-html:TRUE