[tulip] MAC address not reported correctly??!!!!

c.s.h. csh@agate.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:43:25 -0500

Ok, here's my sob story.

I have a cable-company supplied Kingston KNE-100TX that I'm trying
unsuccessfully to get to work in linux to access the internet via a
cable modem.  It works in Windows, but that doesn't really help me,
since I dislike windows...

In any event, after much frustration and many hours, I think one problem
is that the MAC address in linux is not correct.  Both windows (via
winipcfg) and the sticker on the card say 00:C0:F0:40:FE:68, yet tulip
and tulip-diag consistently report 00:40:F0:40:FE:68.

As you can see, the second byte is slightly different.  Could this be a
tulip problem?  I really don't know what to think at this point; I'm
basically a newbie when it come to this stuff.

I have upgraded to the latest SRPM drivers, and I'm using Mandrake 7.0
with 2.2.14-15 kernel.

Please advise, before I go insane!

--chris
csh@agate.net