[tulip] Problems with tulip.c

james hill dragonking7@mediaone.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:29:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C055BE.55C20620

------=_NextPart_001_0070_01C055BE.55C20620

Conventions
Single quotes represents commands to typed, added or shell output =
messages. Output messages are attached.

I have gone through some of the "fixes" listed on this site. None have
worked thus far.  I still get=20

'no member in function tbusy' or other complaints.

I followed  Reiner Wihelms procedure:     ( I am not meaning to pick on =
you.
Your post has helped me out tremendously)

http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2000-October/002685.html

>I finally found on one of the CD roms of the Redhat 7 distribution a
>kernel source rpm (kernel-2.2.16-22.src.rpm) and just went ahead and
>installed it and then started the building process. This takes a long =
time
(and when I
>did it , ended with an error termination). What matters is however
>that before it begins to build the kernel it installs all the proper
include
>files somewhere under /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/linux .... All I needed =
were
>those include files anyway.  Using the actual include files for the =
kernel
> 2.2.16-22 then made all the difference. All I had to do is alter the
>Makefile in the netdrivers distribution.=20

This procedure has gotten me on what I believe to be the right track. It
does, however, fall short of being complete. I had to make some
modifications in  '/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.2.spec' (  I will be
talking to RH about this, they seem to have foresight like a rearview
mirror. ). While Mr. Wihelms says he got the include files before the
command  'rpm -bc /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.2.spec' erred out; I =
did
not.  I loaded the spec file into 'pico' and added a new define tag:=20

'%define sources /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/'=20

This is specific to RH7. I then made the appropriate changes to the =
'patch'
and 'source' declarations. I also turned on patch 151 ( UDMA66 support )
Someone  please warn me before I use this new kernel in support of my =
BP6
mobo. This allows the build process to flow until completion. I will =
happy
to email any body who wants the modified 'spec' file. This file, like I =
said
earlier, is specific to RH 7.

>rpm -ivh  netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm   generates a file netdriver.tgz =
under
>/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and a file netdriver.spec under
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS. To get to=20
>the Makefile one can extract the .tgz file using tar zxvf  =
netdriver.tgz.
In the Makefile
>the symbols INCLUDE and PCMCIA  must be redefined so they point into =
the
proper include file
>directories. (See point B above).=20

>After that all that is needed is to compile the netdrivers using the =
file
make
>in the /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/netdriver directory.

This is not very clear at all and does not work. Since, I am Linux =
newbie, I
would like to see things  stated more explicitly.  Here's why this does =
not
work and I am making assumptions. OK starting after you've done the =
command
'rpm -ivh netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm' this works fine and is correct as =
listed
above. However, the only way you get =
'/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/netdriver-2.0' (
as far as I can tell ) is by running the next command 'rpm  -bc
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/netdrivers-2.0.spec' of course this is not stated
explicitly. If you run this command it does work because it extracts the
netdriver.tgz as it runs using the Makefile in it's current embedded =
state.
This Makefile points to wrong the locations. I've tried to use just the
command 'make Makefile' from the .tgz file with the appropriate
modifications. I am still getting compiler complaints. I am using 'kgcc' =
and
not 'gcc'=20

I have even tried using the directions provided by Linksys and Mr. =
Becker now that I have
correct include files. I've even tried to compile 'tulip.c' seperately =
and I am having no luck. I
have tried the i386.rpm file ( moved the 'o' files to correct location
) then tried 'insmod /path/driver.o' ( I try to install pci-scan.c first =
)and '/sbin/depmod -a' and I get 'unresolved symbol' message complaints.

I have a dual-processor system. Do I need to let the compiler know this =
or
is it already assume since my current kernel "2.2.16-22smp"? If so how =
do I
do that?

Please CC me any responses

Jimmy

------=_NextPart_001_0070_01C055BE.55C20620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#486c88>
<DIV>Conventions<BR>Single quotes represents commands to typed, added or =
shell=20
output messages. Output messages&nbsp;are attached.<BR><BR>I have gone =
through=20
some of the "fixes" listed on this site. None have<BR>worked thus =
far.&nbsp; I=20
still get <BR><BR>'no member in function tbusy' or other =
complaints.<BR><BR>I=20
followed&nbsp; Reiner Wihelms procedure:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ( I am =
not=20
meaning to pick on you.<BR>Your post has helped me out =
tremendously)<BR><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2000-October/002685.html">ht=
tp://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2000-October/002685.html</A><BR><BR>&g=
t;I=20
finally found on one of the CD roms of the Redhat 7 distribution =
a<BR>&gt;kernel=20
source rpm (kernel-2.2.16-22.src.rpm) and just went ahead =
and<BR>&gt;installed=20
it and then started the building process. This takes a long time<BR>(and =
when=20
I<BR>&gt;did it , ended with an error termination). What matters is=20
however<BR>&gt;that before it begins to build the kernel it installs all =
the=20
proper<BR>include<BR>&gt;files somewhere under =
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/linux ....=20
All I needed were<BR>&gt;those include files anyway.&nbsp; Using the =
actual=20
include files for the kernel<BR>&gt; 2.2.16-22 then made all the =
difference. All=20
I had to do is alter the<BR>&gt;Makefile in the netdrivers distribution. =

<BR><BR>This procedure has gotten me on what I believe to be the right =
track.=20
It<BR>does, however, fall short of being complete. I had to make=20
some<BR>modifications in&nbsp; '/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.2.spec' =
(&nbsp; I=20
will be<BR>talking to RH about this, they seem to have foresight like a=20
rearview<BR>mirror. ). While Mr. Wihelms says he got the include files =
before=20
the<BR>command&nbsp; 'rpm -bc /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.2.spec' =
erred out;=20
I did<BR>not.&nbsp; I loaded the spec file into 'pico' and added a new =
define=20
tag: <BR><BR>'%define sources /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/' <BR><BR>This is =
specific=20
to RH7. I then made the appropriate changes to the 'patch'<BR>and =
'source'=20
declarations. I also turned on patch 151 ( UDMA66 support =
)<BR>Someone&nbsp;=20
please warn me before I use this new kernel in support of my =
BP6<BR>mobo. This=20
allows the build process to flow until completion. I will happy<BR>to =
email any=20
body who wants the modified 'spec' file. This file, like I =
said<BR>earlier, is=20
specific to RH 7.<BR><BR>&gt;rpm -ivh&nbsp; =
netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
generates a file netdriver.tgz under<BR>&gt;/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and =
a file=20
netdriver.spec under<BR>/usr/src/redhat/SPECS. To get to <BR>&gt;the =
Makefile=20
one can extract the .tgz file using tar zxvf&nbsp; netdriver.tgz.<BR>In =
the=20
Makefile<BR>&gt;the symbols INCLUDE and PCMCIA&nbsp; must be redefined =
so they=20
point into the<BR>proper include file<BR>&gt;directories. (See point B =
above).=20
<BR><BR>&gt;After that all that is needed is to compile the netdrivers =
using the=20
file<BR>make<BR>&gt;in the /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/netdriver=20
directory.<BR><BR>This is not very clear at all and does not work. =
Since, I am=20
Linux newbie, I<BR>would like to see things&nbsp; stated more =
explicitly.&nbsp;=20
Here's why this does not<BR>work and I am making assumptions. OK =
starting after=20
you've done the command<BR>'rpm -ivh netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm' this works =
fine=20
and is correct as listed<BR>above. However, the only way you get=20
'/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/netdriver-2.0' (<BR>as far as I can tell ) is by =
running=20
the next command 'rpm&nbsp; =
-bc<BR>/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/netdrivers-2.0.spec' of=20
course this is&nbsp;not stated<BR>explicitly. If you run this command it =
does=20
work because it extracts the<BR>netdriver.tgz as it runs using the =
Makefile in=20
it's current embedded state.<BR>This Makefile points to wrong the =
locations.=20
I've tried to use just the<BR>command 'make Makefile' from the .tgz file =
with=20
the appropriate<BR>modifications. I am still getting compiler =
complaints. I am=20
using 'kgcc' and<BR>not 'gcc' <BR><BR>I have even tried using the =
directions=20
provided by Linksys and Mr. Becker now that I have<BR>correct include =
files.=20
I've even tried to compile 'tulip.c' seperately and I am having no luck. =

I<BR>have&nbsp;tried the i386.rpm file ( moved the 'o' files to correct=20
location<BR>) then tried 'insmod /path/driver.o' ( I&nbsp;try to=20
install&nbsp;pci-scan.c first )and '/sbin/depmod -a' and I get =
'unresolved=20
symbol' message complaints.<BR><BR>I have a dual-processor system. Do I =
need to=20
let the compiler know this or<BR>is it already assume since my current =
kernel=20
"2.2.16-22smp"? If so how do I</DIV>
<DIV>do that?<BR><BR><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode">Please CC me any =

<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode">Jimmy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans Unicode"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0070_01C055BE.55C20620--

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C055BE.55C20620

Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xd400.
Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, Half-duplex.
Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
The Rx process state is 'Stopped'
The Tx process state is 'Stopped'
The transmit threshold is 128
The Comet MAC registers are 10782000 ffff8f69 filter 0000000000000000.
EEPROM size is 8.
Ethernet MAC Station Address 00:20:78:10:69:8f.
Default connection type 'Autosense'
PCI IDs Vendor 1317 Device 0985  Subsystem 1317 0574
PCI min_grant 255 max_latency 255.
CSR18 power-up setting 0x804c****.
EEPROM contents:
0985 0002 0000 0000 2000 1078 8f69 0000
0000 0400 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100
0985 1317 0574 1317 ffff 0202 0000 804c
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0040 0040 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 d0a7
ID block CRC 0x48 (vs. 00).
Full contents CRC 0xd0a7 (read as 0xd0a7)
[root@localhost netdriver-2.0]#
------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C055BE.55C20620--