[tulip] NC100 NIC card, tulip driver won't compile.

Phil Barone pbarone@cfl.rr.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:14:02 -0500

The -qpl displays many .o files in directory /lib/modules/2.2.16-22. There
is a directory called build in /lib/modules/2.2.16-22 that is linked to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16. Also there is a link called /usr/src/linux pointing
to /usr/src/linux-2.2.16.

When I try to do the -ivh I get many "file /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/blah.o
from install of kernel-2.2.16-22 conflicts with the file from package
kernel-2.2.16-22

> So you do need to get that kernel source RPM successfully installed. So
> you have RH7 (since you have 2.2.16-22). The RPM you need:
> kernel-source-2.2.16-22.i386.rpm
> should be on your CD. Remove the installed one and re-install. Or use
> --force when you install.

Dont' know how to remove so tried the -i --force , got this:

depmod: ***unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/pci-scan.o

> Now comes the interesting part. I have always told people to do what I
> did (and worked), namely rename /usr/include/linux and asm and change
> them to symbolic links:
> /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> and same with asm.
>
> But I have since learned from others in this group that you may need it
> back the way it was to build glibc. You can always delete the symlinks
> and rename the original directories back again after you've got your
> tulip.o and pci-scan.o compiled.
>
> But another idea which has been recommended here (I haven't personally
> tried it) is to leave /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm alone but
> add to your compile command (when compiling pci-scan.c and tulip.c):
>
> -I/usr/src/linux/include
>
> so that the compiler will look there first when compiling the
> tulip modules.

Anyway, I compiled pci-scan.c and tulip.c using the suggestion at end of
each source file with these changes:
  Used kgcc instead of gcc,
    and
  used the -I/usr/src/linux/include you suggested.

I Received a bunch of warning blah blah redifined and this is the location
of the previous definition messages but now have tulip.o and pci-scan.o

I did an insmod tulip.o and got 2 unresolved symbols pci_drv_unregister and
pci_drv_register. I don't suppose this is ok is it?

What do I do at this point?

Thanks again for the help.