[tulip] LinkSYS LNE100TX

Jay Crews jpc@jaycrews.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:54:06 -0800

I'm having a problem connecting to my machine and
have a feeling it's with the card or the tulip driver.
Here's the scoop:

Got a LinkSYS LNE100TX card a few weeks ago.
Installed it and the Windows driver and all worked
fine.
Started Linux (RedHat 6.2) and eth0 would not load.
Did some digging and found that I needed the newer version
of tulip.o so I got the source (tulip.c (v95 I think), and pci-scan.c)
from scyld.com and compiled it.
All worked fine....I thought.
Rebooted and eth0 loaded and everything seemed to work.
I could telnet, ftp, etc.

Here's the strange thing.
If I telnet out to another unix box from my machine, then telnet
back to my own machine, I have no problems.  Connects and logs in fine.
BUT, if I let my machine sit idol for a few minutes, no one can
telnet in.
In other words, if I'm on my machine and doing stuff, other people
can connect.  Else, it hangs up and times out.

Does this sound like a problem with the card, or something else?
(BTW....under windows, I don't get this problem.  Telnet in with no problems.)

Also, when I ping someone, I get at least 80% packet loss.
Does this sound like a clue?

ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks

-- Jay Crews
jpc@jaycrews.com