[tulip] problem with LNE 100Tx v4.1

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:02:15 -0600 (CST)

    I thought that I was out of the woods with this, but that seems
    to not be the case.

    I am using the new driver (along with pci-scan.o) with both
    2.2.14 and 2.2.17 kernels and have met with a mixed success.
    The sign on message for the tulip driver is:

kernel: tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
kernel:   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
kernel: eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xd0061000, 45:C4:45:C4:45:C4, IRQ 15.
network: Bringing up interface lo succeeded
network: Bringing up interface eth0 succeeded

    (time and host name deleted to reduce line length)

    The modules load w/out complaint and I can bring up eth0. I
    can ping other hosts and other hosts (both Linux and Windows)
    can ping this interface and that seems to work. However, when
    I try to establish an outbound connection, it just hangs. If
    I 'watch ifconfig' while I am doing this, I can see the Tx
    count incrementing along with the Rx count. Every time I try
    a connection (using ftp in this case) the Rx count gets two
    ahead of the Tx count.  On inbound connections from the other
    box, the Rx count seems to get way ahead of the Tx count
    (probably about 3:1 or 5:1.) In neither case are any errors
    reported. After several tries from either side, ifconfig reports:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 45:C4:45:C4:45:C4
          inet addr:192.168.100.100  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:15 Base address:0x1000

    It seems as if the Ethernet drivers are working but just not
    'connecting' to the rest of the system. I've reviewed my kernel
    configuration and cannot see anything that appears to be set
    wrong.

    One thing that did puzzle me was a problem compiling the tulip
    and pci-scan modules. The includes located at /usr/include/linux
    are not the same (e.g. sym linked) to the include tree at
    /usr/src/linux, whether I am compiling against the kernel
    sources installed with Mandrake 7.0 or a vanilla source downloaded
    from a mirror of kernel.org.  I don't know why this 'is', but
    I overcame it by appending "-I/usr/src/linux/include" to the
    compile command specified near the end of either .c file.

    Any suggestions on what to try next or what further information
    to provide would be most welcomed.

    (And yes, I have the cable connected to between the card and
    hub this time. ;)

    regards,
    hank

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)