[tulip] DEC21143 on LinuxPPC

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:31:31 -0500 (EST)

[[ I might be late in responding to this -- the network at the SC2000
conference has been shut down. ]]

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Bhushan, Shashi wrote:

> 	I am using the DEC21143 chipset on my LinuxPPC box and it is using
> the tulip driver.  Unfortunately the switch that the box is connected to is
> report alot of collisions on the port as well as the port (which is set to
> autonegoiate) is set to 100 Bass T, half duplex.  In an attempt to resolve

What driver version?
There is an issue with some 21143 chip versions where setting the full
duplex flag doesn't always put the chip into full duplex mode.

I suspect you have a simpler problem: you are using an old or modified
driver that doesn't correctly handle 21143 autonegotiate using a SYM
transceiver.

> this issue, we have tried to download, compile and run the tulip-diag util.
> Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in compiling the programing:
>
> [bhushan@tennessee.subics.net:/home/bhushan/tulip]
> (49)$ cc -L /usr/src/linux/include -O -o tulip-diag tulip-diag.c
>
> /tmp/ccFDAfXN.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/ccFDAfXN.o(.text+0x408): undefined reference to `iopl'
> /tmp/ccFDAfXN.o: In function `tulip_flash_in':
> /tmp/ccFDAfXN.o(.text+0xe82): undefined reference to `isa_io_base'

You have a buggy PPC library.
The PPC library emulates the Intel iopl() call and subsequent I/O
operations.  You might think that this is just a hack, but x86 model turns
out to work out cleanly for diagnostic code.

The people that put together your distribution either didn't understand why
this capability was useful, or didn't know how to compile the C library so
this this feature works.