[tulip] Overwhelmed by tulip, Linksys 4.1 amd Redat 6.2

Mead, Ted Ted.Mead@westgroup.com
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:02:58 -0600

I apologise for dragging you all back to basics.  I have been trying for
hours to get a new Linksys 10/100 Lan Card working in my HP Vectra VL6,
Series 7, with a Redhat 6.2 install and the 2.2.16-3 kernel.  As I have been
going round and round in circles and am completely lost, I am not able to
tell you exactly what I have done.

The main activities were trying to install of the rpm as documented on
http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html.  I also individually downloaded
the tulip.c and pci-scan.c files from the ftp site and followed the compile
commands at the end of each file.  I noticed that the source files from the
rpm are different than the ones downloaded directly.

As I mentioned, I folowed the rpm direction exactly as written and that did
not work.  I compiled the modules independently and copy them into the
/lib/modules/2.2.16-3/net/ directory and did the insmod of pci-scan.  When I
tried to modprobe tulip I got many unresolved symbols.

Forgive my ignorance.  I'd appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Tx,
Ted