[tulip] Problem with DFE-530TX

Olof Wolgast olowo726@student.liu.se
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:16:52 +0100

I'm writing to this list because none exists for the rhine-chipset, and
other DLink-cards uses the tulip chipset.

My problem:
All modules load ok, that's fine. But my network connection is locked
to the MAC-address of the ehternet card. In windows, I can specify
which MAC-address to use. Default is 000000000000. If I try that in
Linux, via the hw ether - parameter with ifconfig, the MAC-address
shown with ifconfig is ok, but it doesn't work. I have heard that if
the MAC-address is specified with ifconfig, what is really happening is
that the kernel puts the interface in promiscous mode and applys a
filter. Is that true? And if, how do I solve my problem? The diag
program can't write the MAC-address.

//Olof Wolgast