[tulip] Linksys Network Card not working

Poly poly@mail.sisna.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:45:34 -0600

Dear Tulip List Members,

I am hoping that someone can help me with the following:

I have a Lynksys LNE 100 TX Fast Ethernet Adaptor (Version 2 with
WakeUp-On-Line feature) on my PC, an HP 6640C, which has a
AMD K6-2/500MHz 3DNow Processor.  I have set it up as a Dual Boot,
Windows98 or Linux, Red Hat 6.2.

As a Windows Machine, there is no problem, and it talks well with my
other machine, an old Pentium 166 with Windows95.

When it boots as Linux Machine, the Red Hat 6.2 recognises the Network Card, uses tulip.c for it, and correctly sets the I/O 1400-14ff.  But it does not work.  When I do the ifconfig command, it says:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource Temporary Unavailable.
It did not make much sense to try route, but I did and it also said:
SIOCADDRT: Network is down.

My question is, what to do now?  I will be very grateful for any answer.
I read as much as I could understand on the problem, and also checked my system.  Below is more information that I found useful, on the IRQs and in the /var/log/messages.  Thanks very much for the help.
Poly.  Please read on...

In /var/log/messages, I found the following suspicious lines:
The PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/96
updating PCI Command 0083 to 0087
tulip.c :v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Lite-on PNIC-II rev 37 at 0x1400, 00:A0:CC
:37:95:B8, IRQ 0

Below is the Interrupt Request from Red Hat Information
IRQ	CPUO
0	51951	XT-PIC	timer
1	36	XT-PIC	keyboard
2	0	XT-PIC	cascade
8	1	XT-PIC	rtc
12	6684	XT-PIC	PS/2 Mouse
13	0	XT-PIC	fpu
14	100231	XT-PIC	ide0
15	3348	XT-PIC	ide1
NMI	0

>From cat /proc/pci I found:
IRQ 9 		VGA Adapter
IRQ 11		USB

Also from some other file:
IRQ 4		ttyS00 at 0x03f8

On the Windows98 side, the IRQs are as follows:
00	Timer
01	Keyboard
02	Programmable Interrupt Control
03	Com2
04	Com1
06	Standard Floppy
07	Printer Port LPT1
08	System CMOS/Real Time Clock
09	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
09	Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adaptor
09	SiS 530 (VGA Adaptor)
10	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10	Conexant PCI Modem Emulator
10	Master Riptide PCI Audio Device
11	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering - again
11	SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
11	SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
12	PS/2 compatible Mouse Port
14	SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
14 	Primary IDE Dual FIFO