Alphas and Tulip v0.92

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu May 11 11:30:42 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Danilo Godec wrote:

> Is tulip.c v0.92 supposed to compile on an alpha platform with 2.2.15
> kernel?

Yes.

With some sets of include files you will get warnings about inl() returning
a 'long' instead of an 'int'.  These warnings are harmless.  (Grrrr, what a
bogus change: inl() returns a 32 bit value.  There is no reason to make it a
'long'.)

> If I try to 'gcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c' I get
> this:
>
> tulip.c:161: pci-scan.h: No such file or directory
> tulip.c:162: kern_compat.h: No such file or directory

Read
  http://www.scyld.com/network/index.html

> But if I try to copy it to kernel source tree in the place of the old
> tulip.c and then do a 'make modules', I get a lot of warnings and finnaly
> an error.
>
> Where do pci-scan.h and kern_compat.h come from?

The same place you got the updated driver from.

This change was forced by Linus about ten months ago, when he rejected
driver changes that had backwards compatibility in the code.  So I went off
and spent two months working on a scheme to isolate the kernel compatibility
code, and test all of the drivers with the new scheme.  When it was
finished, Linus once again rejected the new versions...

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210
Annapolis MD 21403