What is the problem with the Linksys LNE 10/100 card?

Sami YOUSIF syousif@INAME.COM
Wed Mar 22 16:02:23 2000

Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 05:31:16PM -0600, Jim Morris wrote:
> > Your suspicions are quite correct. The problems lie in the media
> > negotiation, and I've not tried to figure it out myself.  It only occurs
> > with the newer cards (made in the past 6 months or so), as some older
> > Linksys cards I have work fine.
> >
> > The problem does not occur if you connect to a 10BaseT hub, or device
> > such as a cable modem, DSL modem, etc.  It only occurs for me if I
> > connect one of these newer cards to a 10/100BaseTX hub or switch.  It
> > happens with a hub, not just a switch, so I am not sure the duplex
> > negotiation is the problem.
> >
> > For me, the solution was just to use the Linksys provided driver. That
> > won't be a solution when the Linux 2.4 kernel arrives though, since the
> > decision was made in the kernel to break all backwards compatibility
> > with device drivers for Linux 2.2 and earlier.
>
> Thanks for the informed response. I *think* I've actually had some
> luck with a 100BaseTX hub, but I can't remember. This is one of the
> newer cards, and I did notice it's different from one of the older
> ones.
>
> I can confirm that the card does not work with 2.3.51, and I haven't
> tried updating to the 2.3.99preX series as I don't expect much
> different.
>
> I ran a diff on the 0.91g-ppc driver against the one from Linksys, and
> while there were differences, it was not at all clear to me just what
> the magic change was. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out,
> but evidently it is. :-(

The info from linksys on that card re: linux is at
http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux_lne100tx.htm

To get the driver disks, and for a little more info (a more telling page)
http://www.linksys.com/dlc/howtotelllne100tx.htm

which describes how to tell which version of the card you have, which also can give an
idea of which driver might work for that card. The LNE100TX card is an example of one
where the manufacturer modified the hardware for the card, but kept the same product
name and number... (if you order one of these cards, there is no way to tell without
looking at the chips on it which one you are getting. I have had it where someone I
know had ordered 20 from their supplier, and got a mix of the different cards. the
boxes were exactly the same.....

--
-
Sami Yousif