2.3.51 tulip broken

Jeff Garzik jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com
Sat Mar 18 11:51:06 2000

Christopher Smith wrote:
> If you read The Cathedral and The Bazaar more carefully, you'll see
> that ESR specifically suggests it's a good idea not to release
> software until it's reached the stage of "plausible promise". From the
> sounds of it, this is exactly what Donald has done. He's sat down,
> thought about a design, and when he's got it ironed out enough that he
> knows it's a good idea, he releases it. When he releases stuff, it's
> not a fait accompli

In this case, it is.  He ignored all feedback and bug reports about his
design, which was not shared at all with linux-kernel.

I had to come up with my own PCI probe interface before he pipes up and
says "I've done that already."  Donald has consistently failed to work
with other kernel developers.

> There does come a time when things need to be rewritten from scratch,
> and when that happens, sending small patch files just isn't
> possible. (Indeed, if small patch files were possible I'm sure by now
> someone would have taken Donald's posted code, broken it up into
> patches, and sent them to Linus.) I can understand why Linus might not
> want to throw in a huge update into the kernel all of a sudden, but I
> think it's unfortunate that some of the 100's of eyeballs out there
> don't take a look at Donald's designs and try to understand them
> before they prematurely dump them and come up with a quick hack.

This is completely divorced from reality.

Donald produced a design, then ignored my feedback, Alan Cox's feedback,
etc.

His design was dumped because it DIDN'T WORK.  Simple as that.

Further, Martin Mares' PCI interface is NOT a quick hack, is a superset
of the functionality available in Donald's interface, and (a) it works,
(b) it's clean, and (c) it has been developed and discussed in public,
with feedback from other kernel developers.

--
Jeff Garzik              | My to-do list is a function
Building 1024            | which approaches infinity.