2.3.51 tulip broken

Horst von Brand vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Mar 17 09:31:09 2000

Jim Morris <Jim@Morris.net> said:

[...]

> I hate the fact that lately, it seems the attitude of Linux kernel
> development has seemed to be "screw the stable kernel tree".  Too many
> driver fixes, etc, make it into the 2.3.xx kernel, and not into the
> 2.2.xx source, I think.  I have yet to see a good solid explanation for
> breaking driver compatibility between 2.2 and 2.3.

Sorry to contradict you, but Linux has been _always_ this way. There are
ongoing efforts on 2.2.x and 2.0.x bug fixes, still strong for 2.2 but
rather low-level in 2.0.

Driver compatibility was broken every single time the middle digit went
from one stable series to the next. In any case, tell me of _one_ system
where you can just drop in the fresh out of the editor, latest & greatest,
driver into your 2 or 3 year old setup and have it work.

Get real.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl