"Fast Switching" or NIC-to-NIC communications AND channel bonding discouragement

Brian Dushaw dushaw@munk.apl.washington.edu
Mon Mar 13 17:06:21 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Robert Olsson wrote:
> >  There is no support for "fast switching" in the current tulip.c neither
> >  2.2 or 2.3 kernels. The 2.1 kernels had a tulip version with the "fast
> >  switching" code. I consider Alexey Kuznetsov as inventor and he did the
> >  the additions to tulip.c as well. This work was not included the in the
> >  stock tulip.c or other drivers either but it's another story.
>
> I maintain tulip in 2.3.x (as noted in the kernel source), and patches
> submitted to me are always welcome.

MY SYMPATHIES..... :)  THERE SEEMS TO BE A MAZE OF TULIP DRIVERS OUT
THERE (TO GO WITH THE MAZE OF TULIP CARDS), SO THAT SOME PEOPLE TALK OF
"TULIP-DRIVER CONNOISEURS WHO PREFER THE 0.91 DRIVER, WHICH IS HARD TO
FIND"  [QUITE AN AMUSING STATEMENT, IF YOU ASK ME....]  MY EXPERIENCE IS
THAT EACH FLAVOR OF TULIP CARD HAS ITS OWN FLAVOR OF DRIVER, AND THAT
THE NEWEST DRIVERS DON'T ALWAYS WORK WITH OLDER CARDS - THE SOLUTION
SEEMS TO BE TRIAL AND ERROR BY TRYING DIFFERENT DRIVER VERSIONS UNTIL ONE
FINDS ONE THAT WORKS.  THE LINKSYS CARDS I HAVE WORK QUITE WELL WITH THE
LINKSYS PROVIDED TULIP DRIVER, BUT NOT VERY WELL WITH MOST OF THE OTHER
DRIVERS I TRIED (I THINK THE NEWEST DRIVERS WORK O.K.).  I GATHER THAT THE
NEXT KERNEL RELEASE IS TO HAVE A COMPLETELY REVAMPED "TULIP SYSTEM."
PERHAPS THIS WILL SOLVE MANY OF THESE PROBLEMS.

I SUPPOSE THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY ARE VERY CHEAP CARDS....

B.D.