"Fast Switching" or NIC-to-NIC communications AND channel bonding discouragement

Robert Olsson Robert.Olsson@data.slu.se
Mon Mar 13 11:35:27 2000

Jeff Garzik writes:
 > On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Robert Olsson wrote:
 > >  There is no support for "fast switching" in the current tulip.c neither
 > >  2.2 or 2.3 kernels. The 2.1 kernels had a tulip version with the "fast
 > >  switching" code. I consider Alexey Kuznetsov as inventor and he did the
 > >  the additions to tulip.c as well. This work was not included the in the
 > >  stock tulip.c or other drivers either but it's another story.
 >
 > I maintain tulip in 2.3.x (as noted in the kernel source), and patches
 > submitted to me are always welcome.

 Hello!

 The driver we use with our routers is Beckers 0.91 and 0.91g with code
 for fast switching, hw_flowcontrol 2 variants, skb recycling in FS,
 tulip chip info plus statistics in /proc. And a way of giving options
 via ioctl so an interface MII-media can be changed without stopping all
 interfaces.
 Also a fix for forcing the transceiver chips on D-LINK 4-port boards into
 different media types.

 As I did mention this reflects a lot of experimentation. But we use only
 with handful of boards, And as said we don't use FS in production we
 still have enough CPU for "Normal path".

 I have no idea if anything is of interest and/or has quality enough to
 be used with any Linux distribution. BTW SMP does not work.

 Maybe HW_FLOWCONTROL and CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL can be merged in if
 there is any interest. This was the state in the 2.1 kernels.

 robur.slu.se:
 /pub/Linux/tmp/tulip.c.work.0.91g-2.3.X.gz
 /pub/Linux/tmp/if_ioctl.c

						--ro