[tulip] ERROR: Linksys Etherfast LNE100TX Fast Link Pulse

Robert Gash gashalot@gashalot.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:36:43 -0400 (EDT)

I recently replaced a nice D-Link DES-3205 switch with a new one from
Linksys (EZXS88W, the new generation [no fan, blue case]).  However, when
I did this I noticed that my Linksys LNE100TX (using the original PNIC
clone chipset, card rev 32) acted very funny when connected to the
switch.  The link+traffic light on the switch flickers very rapidly, even
when no traffic is passing on the interface.  I tested some transfers, and
it DOES pass traffic, but it appears to max out at about 100kB/s, even
though it's a switched network and the card is detecting 100bT FDX
operation.  The recieving station is a p2 400 with a 3c905b card inside,
and there is also another Windows 98 machine with an identical LNE100TX
(they came in a kit together) that has no problem talking to the switch.

The only machine out of all of them that has an issue with the switch is
the Linux machine with the LNE100TX.  When I switch back to my 100bT hub
(Linksys EZHUB04) the machine transmits at close to 1.0MB/s (CPU
limitation there).  I have forced the card to half-duplex and plugged it
back into the switch and it still exhibits that problem with a fast link
pulse, even before the OS loads up.  Anyone know what is wrong here?  Do I
have a bad card?

-R

root@home:~# tulip-diag -a
tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xfc00.
 * A potential Tulip chip has been found, but it appears to be active.
 * Either shutdown the network, or use the '-f' flag to see all values.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 72.
/proc/pci:
  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.  Latency=16.
      I/O at 0xfc00 [0xfc01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff000400 [0xff000400].
dmesg:
tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth1: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xfc00, 00:A0:CC:28:9C:7A, IRQ 11.
eth1:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 01e1.

-R

--
.----------------- PGP Key: `finger gashalot@gashalot.com` -----------------.
| Robert Gash                        |          Work - gashalot@fasturl.net |