[tulip] help: This chip has not been assigned a valid IRQ

Christy Harrington christyharrington@netscape.net
23 Jul 00 13:51:53 NZST

I have read that the error below occurs because the BIOS can not allocate an
IRQ to
the chip. When using the chip with win98 everything works fine, then when I
start my
Debian box using Loadlin (from DOS) and load the module tulip.o I get this
error.
Is there a way to assign an IRQ to the chip in BIOS without disabling PnP?

Here is the output when I do modprobe tulip.o:

kernel: tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker becker@scyld.com>
kernel:   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
kernel:   The PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/64!  Updating PCI
command
0001->0005.
kernel: eth0: Digital DC21041 Tulip rev 33 at 0x5800, 00:00:C5:0D:80:7F, IRQ
0.
kernel: eth0: 21041 Media table, default media 0800 (Autosense).
kernel: eth0:  21041 media #0, 10baseT.
kernel: eth0:  21041 media #4, 10baseT-FDX.

...and the results when using tulip-diag:

tulip-diag.c:v2.00 4/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DC21041 Tulip adapter at 0x5800.
This chip has not been assigned a valid IRQ, and will not function.
 This must be fixed in the PCI BIOS setup.  The device driver has no way
 of changing the PCI IRQ settings.
 Port selection is full-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
  The NWay status register is 41e1d1c8.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Negotiation complete'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Moises