[tulip] base i/o address & mii problems

David C Ables ables@MIT.EDU
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have a linksys lne100tx card I'm trying to use with debian potato and a
2.2.15 kernel. I've already downloaded and installed pci-scan.o and
tulip.o. they show up in /proc/modules, so I think I have them set up
correctly. the problem is that although I can "talk" to the card with
ifconfig eth0 blah, I can't actually communicate through it. pinging on my
lan produces no blinking on my 10/100 switch.

I've found 2 discrepancies involving the card which I would bet are
related. the first issue is that different parts of the kernel think the
card is at a different i/o address.

tulip (via dmesg) reports
eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xc381cc00, <mac address>, IRQ 10.

ifconfig eth0 reports
Interrupt:10 Base Address:0xdc00

/proc/pci reports
IRQ 10, I/O at 0xf400 [0xf401].

using tulip-diag, I get
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC II adapter at 0xf400.
Port selection is 10mbps-serial, half-duplex.
Transmit stopped, receive stopped, half-duplex.
The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
The transit threshold is 72.
The NWay status register is 41e1d0cc.
The current PNIC-II MAC/WOL etc.
No MII transceivers found!
Internal autonegotiation state is 'Negotiation complete'.

which brings me to my next point: where is my MII transciever? it doesn't
appear in startup when tulip is loaded as it should. after running
mii-diag, I get
Basic registers of MII PHY #32: 1000 7868 0000 0000 07e1 41e1 0000 0000.
Basic mode control register 0x1000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
Basic mode status register 0x7868 ... 7868.
Link status: not established.
Your link partner advertised 41e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
10baseT.

my apologies if this has been previously answered. I couldn't find
anything pertinent within the past few months in the archive.

many thanks,
-david

---
David C. Ables