Does the tulip.c support Mandrake 6.5

Geoffrey Wossum gpw0341@omega.uta.edu
Wed Jan 26 11:50:59 2000

Hi Youngjie,

Yes, I have two computers with Netgear FA310TX cards.  One has a transmit
lockup problem, though, which is why I'm on the list right now :(  But the
cards do work with my RedHat 6.0 system with the out-of-the box 2.2.5-15
kernel.  I've also custom compiled every 2.2 series kernel and they work
with those.

> Later on, I recompiled the kernel, turn on the CONFIG_DEC_ELCP as instructed,
> install the kernel by:
> # gmake install

I always use `make menuconfig` to configure my kernel, so I don't know if
that's right I now.  I always compile the tulip driver as a module.

> After reboot, nothing happens, from the /var/log/messages, I could not tell
> the card is found.

You need to tell the system about the network card.  The easiest way to do
this is with linuxconf or netcfg (never used Mandrake, so not sure if
netcfg is in it).  I've found netcfg to be the easiest, if you have
it.  Either one will also let you configure your IP, gateway, DNS, and all
that good stuff easily.

You might also have to add the following line to your /etc/conf.modules to
let the system know what module to load when it brings the ethernet
interface you just installed with linuxconf or netcfg:

alias eth0 tulip

Hopefully something here will help you out.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako