full-duplex on DS21143

Homer Wilson Smith root@lightlink.com
Thu Jan 20 15:13:59 2000

> The fact is that full duplex on 21143 is broken. I'm using an DEC DE-500BA
> on alpha. It's broken with both v0.91 and v0.91g-ppc drivers.
>
> If I let driver to negotiate FD/HD, or if I force driver to use FD, it
> chooses FD. However, switch (the remote end is some Cisco 10/100 switch,
> the same thing appeared with some MicroNET switch) doesn't notice that and
> stays in HD.

    Yes, same here, long standing issue.

    Running Linux 2.2.13 Kingston KNE-100TX

    When Options=16 is set in conf.modules, card tries to go into FD mode,
but Cisco 1900 Switch port light start blinking fast, and nothing happens.

    When half duplex is set through Options=0, card works except it hangs
periodically with TX hung errors as below.

    Basically we are finding the 21143 chips to be unusable.

    Unfortunately the 21140 chip cards are no longer available.

    Comments welcome.

    Homer

tulip.c:v0.91g 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 0xe400, 00:C0:F0:4C:E4:5A, IRQ 11.
eth0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
eth0:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21142 MII PHY (3) block.
eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 782d advertising 01e1.
eth0: Tx hung, 79 vs. 72.
eth0: Tx hung, 79 vs. 72.
eth0: Tx hung, 82 vs. 72.
eth0: Tx hung, 82 vs. 72.
eth0: Tx hung, 82 vs. 72.
eth0: Tx hung, 85 vs. 72.
nfs: server romance not responding, timed out
eth0: Tx hung, 58 vs. 57.
eth0: Tx hung, 65 vs. 57.
eth0: Tx hung, 68 vs. 57.
eth0: Tx hung, 71 vs. 57.
nfs: server romance not responding, timed out