No subject

Howard Waterfall hwaterfall@cyberus.ca
Wed Jan 12 21:28:54 2000

Hi,

I'm very much a newbie, using slackware version 4.0 of Linux for the first
time.

I was searching for a Linux driver for my NDC 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter,
and found a link to the tulip.c program on the manufacturers web site
(http://www.ndc.com.tw/drivers.htm).  The HOWTO supplied there can be found
at http://www.ndc.com.tw/technic/100fe002.txt.

I downloaded the tulip.c file and followed the instructions including
compiling tulip.c and copying the tulip.o file into
/lib/modules/2.2.6/net/tulip.o.    I also added:

	alias eth0 tulip
   	options tulip options=0 debug=1

to my /etc/conf.modules file and ran

	/sbin/depmod -a

as instructed.  When I rebooted the card wasn't recognised.

While the instructions didn't indicate that I should do so, I updated
rc.modules and added:

	/sbin/modprobe tulip

Now the card seems to be recognised and I get the following upon boot:

	tulip.c:v0.90 10/20/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
	eth0:Macronix 98715 PMAC at 0xf800, 00 80 c6 f2 9c a0, IRQ 9

I also ran netconfig and set things up.  I installed TCP/IP during the
installation process.  The message:

	IP Protocols: ICMP UDP TCP IGMP

appears at boot.  The following also appears:

	PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
	PPP line discipline registered.

My rc.inet1 file also seems to have the correct values.

Thus apart from seeing Macronix which is a little disturbing since this is a
NDC (Sohoware) card, everything looks good.
Shouldn't I be able to ping something at this point?!  Ping 127.0.0.1 works,
but nothing else does (I've tried my gateway, 24.114.177.1, my DNS 24.2.9.33
even www.yahoo.com.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Howard