What cards are currently based on Tulip chip?

Ted Matsumura tedm@tedm.com
Fri Jan 7 19:59:17 2000

Yes, this is exactly what we're trying to organize at www.linux-driver.com
(note -- no "s").

The tulip driver with Ethernet NICs are an excellent example of why, for
Ethernet PCI kernal drivers, among other devices, a moderated database based
on PCI vendor ID and product ID and is necessary for complete information
dissemination on both interoperability and performance.

We're attempting to work with both the peripheral vendors (NIC, SCSI, video,
printers, etc), and the linux distributors to ensure everyone has updated
information and that accurate install information is for the end user.

Currently, Donald Becker's tulip driver is up to .91g or so which includes
interoperability and performance support for several of the cost reduced
tulip chips on various low cost PCI 10/100 NICs, including those sold by
Netgear and Linksys.  Unfortunately, no current linux distribution that I'm
aware of has integrated this version yet, and even many current NIC
distribution mediums and websites still offer only support for 2.0.x
kernals.

Some of the vendors products such as the Netgear FA310X have multiple
versions with same model name that will work and be detected by early tulip
drivers in current distributions, though performance (Netgear README file
indicates early versions of tulip driver with early FA310X product may
exhibit lower performance as they are utilizing a "store and forward"
mechanism) may be degraded if the most current driver is not installed.
Therefore they recommend using the latest tulip drivers, even if an
installation auto-detected and configured the NIC fine.

Another source of confusion with the tulip driver and PCI 10/100 Ethernet
NICs is multiple branded product lines by a single vendor.  The Linksys
full-featured PCI 10/100 NICs use a Macronix chipset that works with earlier
tulip drivers.  However, Linksys has a budget line of PCI 10/100 NICs
branded as "Network Everywhere" (they still say Linksys all over the
packaging) with a slightly different version of the Macronix chipset that
requires the latest .91g version of Donald Becker's tulip driver.

I've browsed the printer database referenced below, and there are many
excellent ideas and much organizational work has been put into it.

I look forward for any feedback on database design objectives with our work
on collecting updated information on device drivers.

Thanks,

Ted Matsumura
tedm@tedm.com
www.linux-driver.com