What cards are currently based on Tulip chip?

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 7 17:28:14 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> This information is probably better than nothing, but it is my feeling
> that such lists get out of date pretty quickly.  It takes an almost
> obsessive maintainer to keep such a list really useful when done with a
> traditional approach.
> I think it would be really useful if someone set up some kind of website
> where people could indicate what kind of card they have just purchased
> and what version(s) of the tulip driver it works with (and perhaps how
> well, too), if any.  The system would timestamp the entry, and have the
> option of listing the info chronologically when queried.

This is what is being done with
   http://www.linux-drivers.com
My expectation is that this will quickly replace the current pages.

The first stage effort is to get a database running with the PCI chip IDs.

The second stage is to get a database of cards, with a mapping to chips and
drivers along with special implementation notes.  An important element will
be to allow users to enter new cards, and driver writer to approve the
entries.  You will immediately be able to see the un-vetted entries, and the
driver writer would only have to check/correct the list every week or two.

> Actually, this would almost certainly be useful for more than "just"
> tulip/macronix cards - it probably could be applied to other net cards,
> scsi cards, video cards, sound cards - really just about anything you
> attach to a linux box.
>
> Someone has done something like this for printers; IMO, it's a very
> valuable resource.  It's at
> http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi.

I'll check that out.

Donald Becker