Changes from HD to FD after ifup eth0

Chris chris@hinterlands.com.au
Thu Jan 6 23:09:57 2000

Hello All

Thanks for the information about half and full duplex.

I still have one last little problem and cannot seem
to correct it. I need to set the Cnet 120 Pro card to
100baseTx HD.

When I insmod the tulip module with the following options

 insmod tulip options=11 debug=6

 tail /var/log/messages :

 kernel: Found Macronix 98715 PMAC at PCI I/O address 0xe800.
 kernel: tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
 kernel: eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 32 at 0xe800, 00:80:AD:87:E1:39,
IRQ 10.
 kernel: eth0:  EEPROM default media type 10baseT.

tulip-diag :

tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xe800.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.

Ok, seems like I have what I asked for.

ifup eth0

tulip-diag :

tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xe800.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 72.

Does anyone know why the duplex setting would change from HD to FD
after this script ?  ( Mandrake 6.1 kernel 2.2.13 ) tulip 0.91.

Thanks again for everyone comments and help.
Chris