[tulip] Conexant LANfinity

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke@gwdg.de
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:22:10 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
>
> > I have a notebook Compaq Presario 1700 which has a builtin
> > miniPCI modem/LAN interface.
> >
> > The LAN chip has PCI ID 14F1:1803. lspci is telling:
> > 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: CONEXANT: Unknown device 1803 (rev 08)
> >
> > I grepped for these strings through my mirror of ftp.scyld.com,
> > and sic! Donald covers that chip in network/test/tulip.c
> > (but not in tulip-diag yet).
>
> I haven't released the updated tulip-diag.c -- I made a bunch of changes,
> not all of which are tested.
>
> > So I put this 0.92p tulip driver into my 2.2.18 kernel source
> > and compiled a kernel 2.2.18 with built-in tulip 0.92p support.
> > eth0: Conexant LANfinity rev 8 at 0x1400, EEPROM not present,
> >    00:4C:69:6E:75:79, IRQ 9.
> > eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 782d advertising 01e1.
> > eth0:  MII transceiver #0 config 1000 status 782d advertising 01e1.
> > tulip.c:v0.92p 11/28/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
> >   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>
> The internal transceiver incorrectly responds to the #0 address.  This is
> harmless now that the scan order has been changed.
>
> > and things looked very good, but the chip does not work yet:
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:4C:69:6E:75:79
>
> What is the station address of your adapter under Windows?

Huh, I don't know how to find that under Windows. So I booted
Windows and pinged another PC within the same segment. The other
PC told with cat /proc/net/arp:

   00:50:8B:FA:38:9D

Now I found "winipcfg". The arped MAC address is correct.
This means tulip.c is getting the wrong bytes, isn't it?

> >           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:0 errors:806 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > ag4-05:0 15:49:14 /usr/src/tulip/diag # ./tulip-diag -p 0x1400
> > tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> >   The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
> >   The Tx process state is 'Processing setup information'.
>
> This is the real problem: the chip cannot do any bus-master operations.
> It appears that something isn't enabled in the mini-PCI interface.
>
> Conexant has been no help -- they mailed me a two page glossy brouchure that
> I had already downloaded from the web site, and referred me to a useless
> local representative that doesn't answer the phone or return messages.
>
> Compaq hasn't been useful either.  No one seems to know anything about the
> implementation.  Yet I'm sure that they will take credit for "supporting" it
> after I spend much time reverse engineering the Conexant chip and the Compaq
> implementation.

Donald, please care about it. ;-))
I have put a PCMCIA pcnet_cs card into the notebook, and both interfaces
are wired now (to different segments). So i can reach that beast from
home over the weekend and do with it what you are requesting (but not
boot windows again before next year monday). ;-))

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@gwdg.de, em@kki.org)