[tulip] Help forcing to 100M

John Sutton john@scl.co.uk
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:21:08 +0000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, John Sutton wrote:
> > Changing to full duplex is surely not going to make any difference to file
> > transfer speeds except when you've got a simultaneous transfer in both
> > directions - which is an unusual circumstance?
>
> It does. Outgoing TCP ACKs have to fight with incoming traffic in half
> duplex mode.

True, but it's a very small difference in my experience.  Still, if you've got
full duplex kit, best to use it.  And for the connection between a server and a
hub/switch, it's certainly going to be worthwhile.

BTW, I've just started messing around with RedHat 7 and found that it has
installed the de4x5 driver instead of tulip?  I wasn't even aware this driver
existed!  Does it have anything to recommend it?

John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/
Tel. +44 (0) 1239 621021