[tulip] Finally! End to issue 'netgear's fa310-tx and d-link switch'

Jaap Brink brink@tiger.3dem.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:38:51 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Jaap Brink wrote:
> > I measured from my gateway to another machine only 50 Mbps and
> > everything's in full duplex. Perhaps a Pentium 75 isn't fast enough?
>
> Probably not. copy and checksum take quite a lot of cpu at those speeds.
>
> Celeron 366 can handle full 100mbps bandwidth easily. p75 is probably too
> slow.
>
> -Dan

Dan

I checked the throughput on my home metwork yesterday evening and the
numbers work out roughly in accordance with what we both were thinking.
They are:

From		To 		Throughput
CPU (MHZ)	CPU (MHz)	(Mbps)
600		75		50
600		135		75
600		300		89

If you graph these numbers, they nicely approach 100 Mbps asymptotically.
BTW I measured ~ 89 Mbps bi-directional between the 600 MHz and the 300
MHz machine meaning the switch supports indeed a nearly 200 Mbps
throughput.

Jaap

Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713)798-6989 -- Fax: (713)796-9438 -- Email: jbrink@bcm.tmc.edu
URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink