[tulip] netgear's fa310-tx and d-link switch

Karl Hammar karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 15:38:56 +0100

You might face the situation that the nic is using half-duplex, and the
switch full-duplex.
Check with tulip-diag or mii-diag:

  # ~karl/hw/tulip/tulip-diag -a
  tulip-diag.c:v2.00 4/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
   http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
  Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xc400.
   * A potential Tulip chip has been found, but it appears to be active.
   * Either shutdown the network, or use the '-f' flag to see all values.
   Port selection is MII, full-duplex.
   Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
    The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
    The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
    The transmit threshold is 128.
  # ~karl/hw/tulip/diag/mii-diag
  Using the default interface 'eth0'.
  Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3100 782d 0302 d008 01e1 45e1 0005 2001.
   Basic mode control register 0x3100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
   You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
   Your link partner advertised 45e1: Flow-control 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT, w/ 802.3X flow control.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting