[tulip] Test release of tulip.c v0.92h

Karl Hammar karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:36:45 +0100

Regarding PNIC-II
-----------------

I am willing to do testing to close the outstanding problem with the
PNIC-II.

I currently have Kingston KNE110TX cards.
If required, I can get other cards for testing.

I have tested thoose two versions of tulip.c, and the version included
in linux-2.2.17:

  Dec  3 14:17:14 opal kernel: tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
  Dec  3 14:17:14 opal kernel:   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
  Dec  3 14:17:14 opal kernel: eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xc8854700, 00:C0:F0:57:BE:82, IRQ 9.
  Dec  3 14:17:14 opal kernel: eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 780b advertising 01e1.

  Dec  3 14:07:37 opal kernel: tulip.c:v0.92p 11/28/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
  Dec  3 14:07:37 opal kernel:   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
  Dec  3 14:07:37 opal kernel: eth0: Kingston KNE110tx (PNIC) rev 32 at 0xc8854700, 00:C0:F0:57:BE:82, IRQ 9.
  Dec  3 14:07:37 opal kernel: eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1100 status 780b advertising 01e1.

I have found that the linux-2.2.17 and the v0.92p version failes after
a while and on my switch, the link and 100Mbps led are lit, and the
fd led is off. No communication possible.
Also the card can be so confused that a (warm) reboot is required to
make it talk with my switch again. Also tested with a 10Mbps hub.

I have run the v0.92 overnight (two times) with

  telnet otherhost chargen > /dev/null

running from both sides (other side is Sun U10 running Linux,
hme interface, which don't seem to have any problems at all).
And it has not yet failed.

Please tell me if there is anything I can help you with.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting

My card contains following main chips:

  Kingston KT98100
  1111053
  9946