[tulip] Re: 10baseT card only works with 10/100 Mbs hubs - followup

Nate Summers nsummers@gw.bsu.edu
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:29:39 -0500

It looked like the first time I tried to send message this it
ended up in the bit bucket.  If it indeed did manage to get
through and you recieved two copies, please accept my apologies.

I've managed to get another of the 10/100 hubs. The cards work
fine with those, too.

It is rumored that Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> on 11/22/00
at 05:22PM wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Nate Summers wrote:

>> I have serveral SMC Etherpower 10 Mbs cards (21041 chipset)
and have
>> noticed an interesting problem - they run great on one 10/100
Mbs hub (at
>> 10 Mbs of course) but do not work at all with any other hub.

> What driver version?

tulip.c:v0.92l 8/19/2000

> What was the detection message?

eth0: Digital DC21041 Tulip rev 17 at 0x281a 000, <HW address>,
IRQ 11
<snip>

Is this the message you were refering to?  I can give you the
output of tulip_diag if you wish.

>> The regular 10baseT hubs are of diverse types and brands.
>An interesting detail: which hubs supported autonegotiation?

AFAIK, only the 10/100 hub (the one that the cards work in)
supports autonegotiation.

I've tried insmod tulip options=4,4, but it hasn't helped.

Rockwalrus