[tulip] Re: Linksys LNE100TX Driver Problems <- Possible issue

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs@theseus.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:59:21 -0400

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
> You realize that Linus is going to come round to your place
> and make you use Windows now?

No!  God no!  Please, please, please, I beg forgiveness!
[ I'm serious, I never use Windows -- not for the past 12/24
(work/home) months, at least, and very little for the 4 years before
that! ]

> There has just been a big argument about these symlinks on l-k and
> Linus says "NO WAY".  /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux have to
> exist but they should not be symlinks to any old kernel.  They should
> be real directories containing the headers that glibc was built with.
> It is the only way to avoid random compile problems when the kernel
> changes.

Ahhh.  Thank you for that insight.

> The symlinks were needed years ago but not with current glibc.  If your
> distribution does not ship real /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux
> directories, complain to your distributor.  Don't compound the problem
> by adding the obsolete symlinks.  Linus has spoken.

That would explain why I haven't had any issues with the latest
Rawhide RPMs (kernel-2.2.16-8) from RedHat, even though I don't
have the symlinks.

Again, thanx for the heads-up!

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith                            CONTACT INFO
 Chat: thebs413 @ AOL/MSN/Yahoo (see http://Everybuddy.com)