linux and new linksys cards

omar omar@natasha.org
Wed Apr 26 18:23:49 2000

I noticed Linksys has yet another version of their inexpensive 10/100mbit
PCI card....anyone know if this new version is supported by Tulip
0.91g???  These are version 4.0 now (jumped from version 2.0)
By the way, check out this brainless excerpt from Linksys's web site, which
is totally bogus since the drivers that come with Redhat 5.2, 6.0,6.1 and
6.2 and probably 6.3 in August don't support Linksys' card!

If you are using RedHat 5.2 or above, you don't need to follow the
directions below. Instead, follow the general OS and networking
installation directions that RedHat provides. When asked to supply the name
of the proper network driver during the RedHat installation, choose the
Tulip driver from the list of drivers that appears on your screen. Continue
with the installation as directed by RedHat, then configure your networking.

by the way, how come none of the newer versions of tulip will compile in
the 2.2 kernel??
I wanted to set up a linux box as a bridge, but its so difficult finding
good network cards that WORK in linux.   I'm trying to use windows98's ICS,
but that thing just stops working for no reason......very annoying to say
the least.  plus win98 needs more resources than linux does.

all these new pci cards, linksys and SMC has some really inexpensive ones,
all have windows drivers, but no linux drivers....