unrecognized card

Bryan Stillwell arcane@verinet.com
Tue Sep 21 10:55:49 1999

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Mike Ulin wrote:

> Hello,
>             My name is Mike Ulin.  I have a Linksys EtherFast card model
> #LNE100TX and am having trouble getting the tulip module to work with
> it.  I am running redhat 5.2 secure server edition.  I have followed the
> directions on your webpage to compile and install, but I get a message
> tulip.o: tulip.o: No such file or directory.  I don't know where it goes
> after I compile it.  If you can help please reply.  Thank you.

Just to help clear things up, I have a few questions for you first.

What version of tulip.c do you have?  It will usually say near the top of
the file and look something like this:

static const char version[] = "tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov\n";

If you have a version that is within the last couple of months like this
one that came out about a week ago, you'll also need pci-netif.c.

static const char version[] = "tulip.c:v0.91m 9/15/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov\n";

What is the command you are using to compile the tulip.c file?  You'll
find it near the end of the source code.  It'll look like:

*  compile-command: "gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`"

Also you might want to download and compile this file:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/tulip-diag.c

That way you can tell what chip your card really has on it.  Mine had the
PNIC II chip, but sometimes they have the plain PNIC chip on them.

Any other info that you think would help us solve your problem, then
please send that info too.

Bryan