Bizarre tulip behavior

Sami Yousif syousif@iname.com
Fri Sep 10 22:13:05 1999

Jonathan French wrote:

> I have a HP Pavilion 4550z - Celeron type machine, and a Linksys 10/100
> LAN card which works under windows but not RH6.0 or a little Linux
> distro called LRP (Linux Router Project).  I freed up all of my IRQs
> from my serial & parallel ports in BIOS, to be certain that there are
> several free.  I even pulled the silly Winmodem/soundcard.
>         Under RH, I ran tulip-diag, which reported thay my NIC can't get a
> valid IRQ (although it does get the right memory location).  I ran the
> version of tulip.o that came with RH, as well as the latest 0.91g, with
> no success.  LRP, which uses a 1998 version of tulip, reports that it is
> trying to use IRQ 255, and fails.
>         Under RH, ifconfig -a does report the eth0, and I can ping the local
> address, but when a route is requested, it fails with an "Network
> Unavailable" or something like that.
>         I can only figure that the computer has the problem, not the card or
> the driver.  The BIOS can only reserve IRQs for ISA devices, so that
> won't help.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>         Thanks,
>         Jonathan French

[I know this answer may sound a little confusing... there are several versions
of the card so it depends on which version you have... read the whole
reply.....]

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html

may have some hints.... (try setting the pnp setting to off)

http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux%5Flne100tx.htm

is linksys's "official" blurb on the matter....

does the machine have a scsi card? is it assigning the same IRQ to different
devices (like scsi and ethernet even though there are free irqs)?

on a related note, linksys may have a modified tulip driver... which exact
version of the card do you have? The linksys page mentioned above states that
there is a modified driver on "disk2" if you have the wake on lan version of the
card. The following link has links to driver disks... (not all have a linux
driver included since the standard driver should work with them)

http://www.linksys.com/dlc/howtotelllne100tx.htm

--
-
Sami Yousif

http://www.alug.org/    Amarillo Linux Users Group
http://www.mav.net/teddyr/syousif/ Personal Page

[eMail sent to any of my addresses is subject to the Conditions outlined
in https://www.mav.net/teddyr/emailtos.shtml]