MX 98715 AEC

IronCode ironcode@bulnet.bg
Sun Oct 31 08:56:24 1999

Hi :-)

Recently I bought a CNet PRO120 NIC, which is 98715 based. tulip detects
it, everything's ok. But when the driver loads, it prints:

eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 32 at 0x6800, 00:80:AD:7A:5D:A7, IRQ 12.
eth0: EEPROM default media type 10baseT.

So why it's not autodetect (as should be the default of my NIC), but it's
10baseT?

I downloaded some docs from the Macronix' site about the MX 98715. That's
what I found:

Also, the MX98715 is equipped with intelligent IEEE802.3u-
compliant Nway auto-negotiation capability allowing a
single RJ-45 connector to link with the other IEEE802.3u-
compliant device without re-configuration. To optimize
operating bandwidth, network data integrity and through-
put, the proprietary Adaptive Network Throughput Con-
trol (ANTC) function is implemented. For detailed prod-
uct specification information, please refer to the
MX98715 data sheet.

----

In addition, here's what I found in the pamphlet with the NIC:

Auto-Negotiation

In most cases, Auto-Negotiation will automatically set
the proper line speed. It is included (usually as the
default setting) with each NOS driver. When the driver
is loaded, Auto-Negotiation checks the cable to
determine the speed of the attached device, and then
sets the Adapter to the highest possible speed.

----

So, it is so? Is the speed really determined when the driver is loading? So
if I have a 100 Mbps hub (or another NIC), I have to connect the cables
before loading the drivers? And I have to reload the driver every time I
change something on the net?

Strange, because the DOS drivers, after halting the PC for about 5 seconds
(under Linux, tulip doesn't stop at all), say "Line speed: NWay".

I don't know it this is a problem, I just don't have another 100 Mbps card
to test it. Does anybody knows about that? Thanks:
    Stoyan Iordanov