Network not recognized

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 26 00:28:03 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Mark Stratman wrote:

> Subject: Re: Network not recognized

Include the context of the problem.  I'm usually working on a dozen or so
problems at a time, and it's a PITA to look up the original message.

> Thank you for your reply. I used the same connection with another system
> and it worked just fine. Do you know if perhaps there may be another
> problem with the set up? thanks.

No.  If a MII transceiver is advertising normal capabilities and reporting
no link beat, there is no link beat.

The wonderful thing about MII transceivers is that I don't have to ask if
the transceiver is configured correctly, or powered up, or which LEDs are
lit -- the MII report has all the info.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov