Performance

David Schwartz davids@webmaster.com
Fri Oct 15 18:54:56 1999

	Without knowing the initial TTL value of the ping, the number means
nothing. If you know the initial TTL value, and subtract from that the
output TTL value, the result is approximately the number of hops the ping
took. Must UNIXes set their initial TTL to 255.

	(For the record, most of this information is in 'man ping'.)

	DS