Trouble Compiling - Mandrake 6.1

Richard Dynes rdynes@sun1.varcom.com
Tue Nov 2 09:41:52 1999

Torrey Peacock wrote:

> At 08:14 AM 11/1/99 -0800, Omar wrote:
> >I never got tulip to compile as a module.  Of course lots of people DID do
> >it, so i'm sure its possible but well i only have so much time to f'**
> >around with it.  So I copied it over the tulip.c in the source directory
> >and just compiled it with the kernel. no problems there. the make bzImage
> >scripts have the "right' options i guess since it compiles it just fine
>
> A couple of people have suggested this, so I tried it, and the hell of it
> is, it STILL didn't compile!  The kernel and every other module came out
> fine, but not tulip.

Is there a diagnostic?

>  The source file is still sitting there, but tulip.o
> is nowhere to be found.  Maybe Mandrake's compiler chokes on it somehow -
> should I try another distribution?

Mandrake is based on RedHat....  Unless there is a diagnostic, I would
say no.

I assume you've gotten a kernel source tarball, unpacked it, and run
make config. :)

In /usr/src/linux/.config, search on /DEC_ELCP/.

You should find:

# CONFIG_DE4X5 is not set
CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=m
# CONFIG_DGRS is not set

This you control through /make config/.

In /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/Makefile, search on /DEC_ELCP/.

You should find:

ifeq ($(CONFIG_DEC_ELCP),y)
L_OBJS += tulip.o
else
  ifeq ($(CONFIG_DEC_ELCP),m)
  M_OBJS += tulip.o
  endif
endif

This comes with the source distro.  It just shows how this is done.

To build:

make config (if you haven't already)
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

You will then need to install the bzImage, including running lilo.

-Richard

--
    Richard Dynes
    rdynes@varcom.com