NCR53C815 vs Tulip: sharing IRQ fails

jlewis@lewis.org jlewis@lewis.org
Mon Mar 22 22:28:37 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Hardware Stuff wrote:

> I have a system that's not short on IRQs, but in which the BIOS
> insists on giving the DTC 3130B NCR53C815 and the D-Link DFE500-Tx
> 21040 the same IRQ.  The NCR53C815 reports obtaining a shared IRQ and
> functions fine, while it's impossible to ifconfig the Tulip.  It's an
> i386 2.0.36 kernel with the latest patches for the NCR.
>
> I'm be happy if I could force either card to a different IRQ, but
> nothing has worked yet.  Has anyone had this setup working?

I was in a similar situation a while back and hacked the tulip driver to
request its IRQ with the same flags as the NCR driver.  Have a look at the
de4x5 driver to see what to hack.  Look at the request_irq parts.

> Suggestions?

Buy a non-brain-damaged motherboard.  By hacking the tulip driver, you can
make the system function, but you won't likely see great performance from
the network card.  I never saw much more than 1MB/s even though the card
was running 100MB/s FD.

There was talk of this IRQ sharing problem getting fixed, but I don't know
if it happened in the 2.2 kernels.  I don't think it did, but I haven't
used them and no longer work at the place with the bad boards.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________