What's so special on a DE500-BA or DE500-AA ?

Thomas Leitner tom@radar.tu-graz.ac.at
Fri Jun 25 02:20:54 1999

Hi,

Can anyone tell the difference between a DEC DE500-AA and, for instance,
a Kingston KNE100TX NIC? Both use the 21140 tulip chip but only the
DE500-AA works in Digital Unix. The KNE100TX fails with "no SROM info
for selected media".

Or to put the question the other way around: What non-DEC NIC is most
similar to a DE500-AA (21140 based) or a DE500-BA (21143) based?

Is the difference the media transceiver chip?

Thanks and sorry for being a little bit off-topic.

Tom
T o m   L e i t n e r                       Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom@radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net
    Before we have the paperless office, we have the paperless toilet!